What do I do after a Hail Storm in my Area?
june 1st, 2020 updated 9:00PM CT
When it comes to roofing, hail can wreak havoc. San Antonio experiences different levels of severity from hail storms every year. Minor storms are unlikely to cause much of an issue, but larger storms can cause damage to your roofing in San Antonio. But spotting damage to your roof isn’t always easy because the damage isn’t always seen from the ground. If you’ve never looked for hail damage before, you might not always know what to look for. Today we’ll teach you what the signs of hail damage look like, as well as why it might be a better idea to hire roofing companies in San Antonio to take a look.
What does damage from a hail storm look like?
After a storm, you might be wondering whether or not it was large enough to do any damage to your roof. But before you hire any roofing contractor in the San Antonio area to take a look, there are some signs that you can look for yourself:
- Dents, dings, dimples, or other damages to gutters and downspouts
- Cracked, dented, or otherwise damaged mailboxes
- Splatter marks on your driveway that have cleaned away algae, dirt, or gravel from your driveway
- Paint chips, holes, or damage to the siding of your home.
- Caulking tears, cracks, dents, or dings around window ledges.
- Cracks in windows or tears in window screens
- Paint damage on your house or doors
- Dead, damaged, or torn plants or flowers
- Algae/moss/mold growth on shingles
- Dents in cars or vehicles around the neighborhood
Each of the above can be a sign that the hail storm in your area was large enough to cause damage to your roof system. If you notice any of these signs, it might be a good idea to hire a roofing company in your area to come in and take a look at your property. If you see a roofing contractor looking at other homes in the neighborhood, this can also be a good sign that you need to get yours checked out; there’s a good chance your home is affected if other homes have roof damage.
Hail Storm Damage from Ground Level
If you feel that your area has withstood a hail storm heavy enough to cause damage to your property, the next step is to check from damage from the ground. While not all damage is visible from ground level, some is.
The first thing you want to check for is any missing shingles. When a roof is missing shingles, it’s usually pretty evident from the ground. Loose pieces may have blown off and may be lying on the ground around your home, or they may have gone missing altogether.
Other things you can check for damage include your outdoor furniture, your outdoor lights, your garage doors, your swing sets, your AC Unit, your fencing, your deck, and your swimming pool. Damage to any of these things can suggest that you need to have a professional roofer come in and take a look at your roof.
Your shed can also be an indicator of how much damage your home’s roof may have withstood. If there is damage to the metal roofing or roof shingles of your shed, there’s a good chance that your home roofing in San Antonio may have withstood some damage as well.
And finally, take a good look around your yard to check for any large debris. If you have any large tree branches that are missing or that have fallen on your roof, you will definitely want to have a roofing contractor in your area to come and check it out.
Checking Your Roof for Hail Damage
If you have experience, you can get up on your roof to look for any damage from a hail storm yourself. Here’s what to look for:
- Damage or tears to the gutters.
- Granules in the gutters that have broken off.
- Cracks or damage to the roof vents.
- Dents or dings to the flashing.
- Paint chips or damages to the satellite dish.
- Cracked glass in the skylights.
- Dents, dings, or damages to the chimney covers.
- Loose, curled, or missing shingles.
- Loose debris that has fallen on your roof.
- Dents if you have a metal roof
- Splits or dents to wooden shingles.
- Damages or punctures to soft roof materials.
If you are not experienced or do not understand what any of the above terminologies mean, it might be best to hire a local roofing company to come in and take a look at your roof for you. You can opt to do it yourself, but there are many benefits of hiring a professional contractor:
1) A contractor has experience.
This means that they can take a thorough look at your roof, and because they know exactly what they are looking for, an inspection won’t take them very long.
2) A contractor knows what to look for.
As someone who’s inexperienced, you might not be able to spot all of the signs of roof damage. Professional roofing contractors know exactly what to look for so that they won’t miss any small repairs that may need to be taken care of.
3) A contractor has the proper safety knowledge and equipment.
Climbing on top of your roof can be a dangerous job, especially if it has just incurred weather damage. A roofing San Antonio contractor has the training and equipment to inspect your roof safely and without injury.
Signs of Roofing Damage Inside the Home
When your area has a hail storm, the exterior of your roof is open for damage. But if the exterior of your roof is damaged, there’s also a chance that the interior of your home has withstood damage as well. Here’s what roofing contractors look for on the inside:
- Water leaks in all rooms of the house, including the attic.
- Water stains on both your ceilings and walls.
- Check closely around light fixtures and in closets for water stains.
- Mold and mildew buildup on your walls and ceilings.
- Head up to your attic and look for any insulation that may be wet.
- Don’t forget to check your garage for leaks, water stains, and mold or mildew buildup.